Foyer Makeover


This is the front entrance of my house. My house is almost 100 years old. Charming? Yes! Lacking some amenities? Absolutely! One being a coat closet, and real foyer. What you see here is the entrance to the far right side of my living room. 
Times were simpler in 1923. Coat closets weren't a big thing, especially in Florida where there wasn't really a need for coats. We don't have basements OR attics either, mind you. Could you imagine peeps up north? I mean, where do you put all your stuff right? Well, the answer to that is you don't. Thankfully, for such an old house I do have pretty big closets, but that still doesn't fix the coat closet problem, and it DOES get cold here now that we're into 2015.


See that lovely coat tower? Or should I say candle holder that holds coats, scarves, and hats, surrounded by shoes, shovels and pails? Exactly! You don't, because there is nowhere to put that "stuff" because there is no coat closet, and we don't wear shoes in this house, so that is our lovely "shoe basket"on the floor there. 
This is a perfect example of something not having a place and therefore that something becomes a MESS which really messes with my OCD so something had to be done!
My parents have this beautiful credenza which would be perfect in that entryway, but until I figure out how to get it here from Jersey, IKEA had to come to my rescue. I found a cool buffet that I knew would go well and hold everything. So, Mike and Tommy got to work!

And they worked!!!!!
And they worked some more!
Until FINALLY..........
TADA!

Success!
That buffet holds everything! Shoes, gloves, scarves, hats, umbrellas, toys and a diaper bag. I added a nice dim light that I turn on at night, a live palm branch and of course a key dish. Everything has a place!

Buffet-IKEA
Lamp-Homegoods
Black and white area rug-Overstock.com
Key dish-Target
Turquoise glass bud vase-Crate & Barrel

Not pictured? My big purse thrown on top of that buffet, Tommy's large blue sports car, and Jake's bone. They just didn't look good in the pic, but that's reality folks!
Have a great week!

No comments