Pumpkin Spice Scones













I think I've mentioned before, we are a scone house! Any day of the week you will find some new flavor of scone displayed on our kitchen counter in a glass dome dessert dish. My husband especially adores them and always looks forward to the Fall, when Starbucks is stocked with their delicious Pumpkin Scones!
I found a recipe for "copycat" Starbucks pumpkin scones and thought I'd give it a whirl. I baked them while we watched last nights debate and they were a HUGE success. My husband thinks they're even better than Starbucks! 


YOU WILL NEED:
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (I used brown)
-1 tablespoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
-6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1-inch slices
-1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
-3 tablespoons half-and-half
-1 large egg

ICING:
-1/2 cup powdered sugar
-a few tablespoons of milk (eyeball it)

*Starbucks also uses a spiced glaze to go on top of that, but I skipped it!
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg with a fork. Add the butter and toss mashing the butter slices into the mix. Keep mixing until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal with the butter slices no larger than small peas.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, half-and-half and egg. Fold wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and form the dough into a ball. Pat out dough onto a floured surface, and form into a 1 inch thick round circle, about 10 inches across. Take a floured butter knife and cut 8 triangular slices (just like you were cutting a pizza. Arrange slices on the cookie sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes.
While scones are cooling mix togethr the icing and drizzle it over the warm scones. Help yourself to a warm scone. They are heavenly!




















I like to dip mine in milk. Mike loves his with coffee. Yum!

1 comment

Michelle said...

YUM! Pumpkin scones are my fave.