The Cactus Dilemma

Photo: Lea Andrew
Yesterday I took Tommy to a cactus farm, because I love some good cactus decor!
 It was kind of in the middle of nowhere off a dirt road, and I'm not gonna lie, at first I felt a little weary driving down that desolate dirt road being a young woman with a three year old, but I had Mike's big "don't F with me" pickup truck so I threw caution to the wind and decided to continue. When we arrived there were many cars in the dirt lot and my little voice told me it was safe. 
We hopped out of the car and into cactus heaven! This place was beautiful! One greenhouse after another FULL of different types of cactus and succulents. Upon entrance you received a map with a price list and ruler because the price depended on the size of the pot. It was a bit overwhelming and HOT, and Tommy got pricked a few times even though I said,"Don't touch," but we chose 6 different cacti and were on our way.
When I got home I was so excited to start my cactus decor. I hopped onto the internet to check out a few of my favorite cactus decor ideas but also came across several articles about a superstition that cactus inside the home can cause BAD LUCK! What?!!!!!! Really? Has anyone ever heard of this? I now have six beautiful new cacti that I feel weary of placing around our new house. I know, stupid right? But there are also several cultural contradictions. 
For example the Chinese believe that you should never place a cactus near or around the front door, because the sharp edges block fresh and life giving energy from entering into your home. However, the Greeks believe that every entryway should have a large cactus to ward off the "evil eye" from the property. What to do, what to do? 
I'm a strong believer that you can "WILL" anything to happen, so for now I'm going to enjoy my cacti and try not to think too much of it. If I notice a strong change in the energy, they will have to go. Simple as that! Have you ever heard of such a thing? I'd love to hear your stories.
In the mean time, check out some of my favorite cactus decor!



No comments